Matthew Bryan-Amaning scrambles for the ball during the Huskies 88-75 win over Arizona State/ Drew McKenzie, Sportspress Northwest
Date: January 22, 2011
Venue: Hec Edmundson Pavilion
Matthew Bryan-Amaning scored a career-high 30 points as he was the force in the middle for the Washington Huskies in their 88-75 victory over Arizona State Saturday afternoon. Bryan-Amaning found his way through the Sun Devils (9-10, 1-6 in the Pac-10) tough 2-3 zone to hit 11 of 16 shot attempts. He also pulled down nine rebounds. Isaiah Thomas had 19 points and eight assists for the Huskies (15-4, 7-1). The 20th ranked Huskies are 7-1 for the first time since 1987.The Huskies led just 68-66 with 5:15 left when the closed the game with a 20-11 run. .
Star Of The Game
Matthew Bryan-Amaning: Scored a career-high 30 points with nine rebounds, exploiting the inside seams of the ASU 3-2 zone. He made all eight of his free throws and was 11 of 16 from the floor.
Play of the game
Scott Suggs hit a killer three-pointer at 1:10 to give the Huskies a 81-73 lead over the pesky Sun Devils, who stayed close to the Huskies the entire game.
- Matthew Bryan-Amaning: Broke his career high (28 points) with a 30-point effort against the Sun Devils. He hit 11 of 16 attempts and all eight of his free throws.
- Isaiah Thomas: Scored 19 points with eight assists but is credited with his second-half defensive pressure on ASU’s Ty Abbott, who scored jsut seven points.
- Scott Suggs: Scored only 10 points but hit a big three-pointer with 1:10 left to give the Huskies a eight-point lead.
- Matthew Bryan-Amaning: Missed a first-half dunk, as the ball caromed off the back rim and bounced nearly to the half-court lin
- Scott Suggs: Scored 10 points in 21 minutes, making 4 of 5 of his field goal attempts.
- Venoy Overton: Tallied five points with five assists in 24 minutes off the bench.
- C.J. Wilcox: Had five points, one rebound and one steal in 17 minutes off the bench.
- Terrence Ross: Scored six points with two rebounds with two rebounds and two personal fouls in 17 minutes off the bench.
- Darnell Gant: Played 10 minutes and made 2 of his 3 shots for four points
- “Never fun to play Arizona State.,They always make it real difficult. Like my good buddy (and former fellow UCLA assistant) Steve Lavin says, ‘Sometimes, you just have to move the chains.’” — Lorenzo Romar, UW head coach, about matching up with Arizona State
- “Everybodys thinking Why is it still such a close game? We just need to do what we need to do against zones and against defenses were not used to seeing. We have to remember that we only had one day to prepare for it, we didnt have all week.” — Matthew-Bryan-Amaning, UW forward, on ASU’s stubborn’s 3-2 zone.
- ”As a veteran team youve just got to be ready no matter what type of game it is. We knew it was going to be a little letdown coming into this game because it wasnt as hyped as last game, but at the same time we showed that we can win games like this.” — Isaiah Thomas, UW guard, on averting an upset to last-place ASU.
- 7-1 The Huskies go 7-1 to start conference play for the first time since 1987.
- 10 Washington has won its first 10 home games for the third straight season.
BOB SHERWIN’S GAME ANALYSIS IN PRESSING THE POINT