The Top (and not top) plays, games and players of 2010 Seattle sports.
–Charlie Whitehurst is the Seahawks’ presumptive starter on Sunday, but Matt Hasselbeck still might play.
–Injured Husky hoopsters Justin Holiday and Venoy Overton will play this weekend’s games at the SoCal schools, but aren’t 100%.
–The Mariners might sign oft-injured starting pitcher Chris Capuano.
Okay! It being such a slow day, what say we do an orgy of Top 5 of 2010 lists?
Top 5 Plays of 2010
1) Quincy Pondexter’s game-winning basket in NCAA tourney to beat Marquette [video].
2) Jake Locker’s perfect pass to Jermaine Kearse for the Apple Cup game-winner [video].
3) Fredy Montero’s stoppage-time, game-winning header off Nathan Sturgis’ left-footed cross to beat Chicago Fire [video].
4) Sue Bird’s game-winning three-pointer caps late 15-0 Storm run to win WNBA semi over Phoenix [TNT article].
5) Mike Williams‘ 4th-quarter, one-handed catch on 2nd-and-20 vs. Arizona [video (1:30 mark)].
Not Top 5 Plays of 2010
1) Eric Byrnes’ forgets to bunt on 11th inning suicide squeeze [video].
2) Matt Hasselbeck breaks wrist on unsuccessful quarterback sneak [video].
3) Leon Washington caught from behind by punter [video].
4) Jake Locker throws into double-coverage for first-drive interception against Nebraska [video].
5) Kasey Keller lets shot go through hands for against Galaxy [video].
Top 5 Games of 2010
1) Husky football beats USC on last-second field goal.
2) Husky hoops upsets Marquette in NCAA first-round.
3) Felix Hernandez takes a no-hitter into the 8th vs. Texas.
4) Seahawks sneak by San Diego thanks to two Leon Washington kick returns for TDs.
5) Sounders win U.S. Open Cup Final at Qwest Field.
Not Top 5 Games of 2010
1) Sounders 4-0 loss to L.A. Galaxy (so bad, the team gave fans a refund).
2) Huskies and Locker blown out 41-0 by Stanford and Luck.
2) Seahawks lose to…St. Louis?
3) Aardsma blows save vs. San Diego, M’s fall to 23-38.
4) Seahawks obliterated by Oakland, 33-3.
5 Biggest Stars of 2010:
1) Felix Hernandez–Cy Young Award winner. ‘Nuff said.
2) Lauren Jackson–Wins her 3rd WNBA MVP award, leading the Storm to a championship.
3) Quincy Pondexter–An incredible senior season for the former fan punching bag.
4) Chris Polk — A second-straight 1,000-yard season, and record day in the Apple Cup.
5) Fredy Montero — Flourished after Freddie Ljungberg’s departure, now signed to a long-term deal.
5 Biggest Flops of 2010:
1) Jack Zduriencik — Assembled the worst offense of the DH era.
2) Ken Griffey Jr. — From clubhouse leader to punchless, drowsy malcontent.
3) Jake Locker — Hyped for the Heisman, made honorable mention All-Pac-10.
4) Freddie Ljungberg — Sounders finally got sick of his unending bitching and traded him.
5) Chone Figgins — Signed a $36M contract, delivered the worst season of his career.
Today in SPNW…
Champs Sports Bowl: N.C. State vs. West Virginia, 3:30 p.m. (ESPN)
NFL: Minnesota @ Philadelphia, 5 p.m. (NBC-5)
Insight Bowl: Missouri vs. Iowa, 7 p.m. (ESPN)
Yo! If you have a tip or a comment, email me at email@example.com or message me on Twitter, @SethKolloen. Cool? Thanks!