The Mariners Tuesday selected eight players on the second day of the amateur draft, starting with OF Braden Bishop out of the University of Washington with their third-round pick. Bishop hit .293 with 26 doubles, three triples, four home runs, 65 RBIs and 42 stolen bases in 149 games during his career with the Huskies.
Bishop was a 2015 All-Pac-12 first-team selection and two-time All-Pac-12 defensive selection (2014 and 2015). Bishop is the 12th player selected by the Mariners out of Washington, and first since current Tacoma Rainiers RHP Forrest Snow (36th round 2010).
The Mariners also selected:
- RHP Dylan Thompson of Socastee High in Myrtle Beach, SC., 125th overall in the fourth round. Thompson compiled a 16-4 record during his prep career and never had an ERA above 1.99.
- SS Drew Jackson of Stanford University in the fifth round (155th overall). As a junior in 2015, Jackson hit .320 in 40 games. He was also selected in the 37th round in the 2012 draft out of Miramonte High School in Orinda, CA.
- RHP Kyle Wilcox in the sixth round (185th overall) from Bryant University in Rhode Island. In three seasons, he went 10-6, 3.40 ERA and recorded 110 strikeouts. He was named Northeast Conference Pitcher of the Year.
- 1B Ryan Uhl in the seventh round (215th overall) of Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Uhl led the Division II Crimson Hawks with 29 home runs and 74 RBIs in 44 games, batting .415. He is a finalist for the Tino Martinez Award, presented annually to the top Division II player in the nation.
- RHP Cody Mobley from Mount Vernon High in Indiana in the eighth round. He went 6-2 with one save and a 1.69 ERA in 12 appearances as a senior. He was named an All-Big Eight Conference and All-Southwest Indiana All-Star in 2014 and 2015.
- 1B/3B Conner Hale of LSU in the ninth round (275th overall). Hale, still playing as LSU has advanced to the College World Series, is batting .343 with 17 doubles, three triples, four home runs and 56 RBIs in 61 games. He led the Tigers with 18 multi-RBI games and recorded 24 multi-hit games. Hale transferred to LSU from State College of Florida and is a product of Mitchell High in New Port Richey, FL.
- RHP Darin Gillies from Arizona State in the 10th round (305th overall). Gillies made 84 career appearances, sixth in the history of the program. As a senior, he posted a 3-6 record with a 3.83 ERA in 28 appearances (3 starts).
The draft will conclude with rounds 11-40 Wednesday. The Mariners have selected 10 players in the first two days.