BY SPNW Staff 10:44PM 01/28/2016

Game recap: Huskies 86, Bruins 84


Thanks to the free-throw confidence of senior Andrew Andrews, the University of Washington men’s basketball team narrowly averted a major collapse Thursday after blowing a 19-point lead against UCLA at Pauley Pavilion, winning 86-84 (box) to sweep the season series. The Huskies remain tied for first in the Pac-12 with Oregon at 6-2 in conference play.

Essential moment

With 0:26 to play and the score tied at 84, Andrews brought the ball up the court and killed time, then forced a pump-fake that drew a foul from UCLA’s Troy Parker with 3.4 seconds left.  Andrews, who finished with 12 points, converted both shots after two earlier with 42 seconds left. On the ensuing play, the ball came in to the Bruins’ Bryce Alford, who floated a pass to Isaac Hamilton in the corner. Hamilton’s long two-pointer attempt hit the back iron as the horn went off.


“You get a road victory, I don’t care how you get it. It’s very, very valuable.” — Huskies coach Lorenzo Romar.


UW’s all-time record at UCLA rose to 8-62. Last win at Pauley was 2011 . . . UW foul trouble did much to allow UCLA back in the game after a terrible first half that the Bruins trailed 51-33. Matisse Thybulle (11 points), Marquese Chriss (12 points), and Malik Dime (10 rebounds) fouled out before the 4:30 mark, while Andrews (12 points, 8 assists) finished with four fouls . . . Noah Dickerson led Washington with 15 points and eight rebounds in 29 minutes . . . Washington committed 19 turnovers, but managed 10 steals . . . The two games between the teams combined for 118 personal fouls, 112 points from free throws, and 10 disqualifications . . . Alford had a game-high 28 points.


The Huskies play at USC Saturday at noon (Pac-12 Networks). Washington returns to Seattle Feb. 3 to face Arizona State at 8 p.m. (ESPNU).


  • woofer

    “Major collapse” is nonsense. The Bruins played a bad first half and made a run in the second against a UW team in serious foul trouble. UCLA did indeed catch up, but the Huskies didn’t panic and made the play they needed at the end.