Justin Britt became the first offensive lineman drafted by the Seahawks under Pete Carroll to earn a second contract. His $27 million, three-year deal was done Thursday.
In his first couple of seasons with the Seahawks, Justin Britt’s NFL future looked a little shaky. Now it just looks wealthy.
Firmly established as one the NFL’s better centers, Britt was rewarded with a three-year contract extension Thursday worth up to $27 million, with $15 million guaranteed. He’ll make $13.25 million next season, according to the NFL Network.
Britt is the first offensive lineman in the Pete Carroll/John Schneider era to be given an extension, and this season the only one in the group assured of a starting job in 2017.
“He has been a fantastic leader for us,” Carroll said. “He had an excellent season. We feel he’s really in the best spot for him. I think it is just a recognition and acknowledgement of the player and the teammate that he has become for us and also the fact that we were able to do it on the offensive line.
“It is important to note that. I don’t want to try to dissuade you from thinking that it’s a statement that we want to make sure and take care of these guys. Justin has done everything that we need him to do, and if this comes to pass I am thrilled we are able to reward him. I feel it is very much in line with all of things that we have done in the past.”
Following SS Kam Chancellor, Britt is the second top Seahawks starter in this camp to get an extension among three entering their final contract season. The third is TE Jimmy Graham.
A 2014 second-round pick out of Missouri, Britt started 16 games as a rookie at right tackle, and had his problems. The next season he was moved to guard, and last season found a home at center, where he started 15 games.
“His improvement is very noticeable,” line coach Tom Cable told reporters recently. “His command, his leadership has really showed up. Playing the position with the fundamentals, he’s a whole year better. After doing it for a year, (he) understands what you’re talking about from the get-go. He’s able to really make a difference.”
Rawls out, Lacy will start
Incumbent starter Thomas Rawls has a sore ankle and will sit out Friday’s home exhibition opener against Minnesota, meaning newcomer Eddie Lacy will be the No. 1 running back.
“Thomas has been hobbling a little bit on a sore ankle that he sprained in the game,” Carroll said after practice. “It’s it’s not likely that he’ll be able to play.
“You’re going to see a good dose of Eddie and C.J. Prosise, Chris (Carson) and Alex (Collins). Mike Davis played really well last week, so all those guys will play. We’re going to just keep accumulating reps as we evaluate those guys. It’s a very competitive group. Hopefully we can get moving at the line of scrimmage so we can see those guys.”